Thursday, July 28, 2016

Book Review: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

My Rating: 3/5 Stars
Author: Morgan Matson
Genre: Contemporary
Published: 2016

This book came highly recommended and I ended up reading it with my book club - The  Readers Guild. Though I enjoyed the characters I felt that there were parts of the story that were unnecessary. Like the author was just fulfilling a page count.

Goodreads Synopsis: 

Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. 

And where’s the fun in that?

My Review:

Our main character is Andie. She has everything planned down to the last minute. She kind of reminded me of me and my tendencies to worry about things four years in the future. I liked Andie. I liked her character development, the way she forgives her dad without holding a grudge, the way she loves her friends. I liked her. I didn't like her type A personality (sorry to all type A people out there). It ruined a lot of things for her that I felt were obvious mistakes. I struggled connecting with that part of her character. 

Okay so Clark. First off THE NAME!! I don't know about you but my future child will be named Clark. Also HE WRITES FANTASY BOOKS!! I mean come on that has got to be the greatest things about this book. We see a writer with  a main character that doesn't read with a boyfriend on the bestseller list. Andie's reactions to Clark's nerdy shirts, references, and movies. Her walking into a book signing. I thought it was hilarious because I 'm sure half the time that's how people see me. Clark was nerdy and sweet and definitely my favorite character in the story.

I loved the character development throughout the story. How Andie started to mellow out and you got to see her discover a new part of herself. And Clark with his writers block and seeing him share that part of him with Andie. I love Tom, Bri, Toby, and Palmer. Their friendship throughout the story was awesome and made me slightly jealous. This book had a lot to give with it's characters and I really liked that. 

Why I took away two stars - As I said I loved the characters, but the story line not so much. This book started slow for me. It took me a good fifty pages (if not more) to get into Andie's story. It felt like there were parts of the story that were just fill ins like Morgan Matson had a beginning and an end planned and just winged it for the middle. 

I also didn't like the six chapters before the last two. I know that's confusing but I did like how it ended  I just didn't like how we got there. I felt like you could see exactly how this was going to go before it got there. I didn't like seeing Andie grow so much  through the book and then having a freak out right before the end. It just didn't seem to fit and I felt like it was just to make the story longer.

This was my first Morgan Matson book and contemporary is my least favorite genre but I'd definitely read more of her books. If you enjoy contemporary than I recommend you try this one. 


1 comment:

  1. Love the reveiw Korinne! Definatly see where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete