Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Book Review: A Gathering of Shadows by Victoria Schwab

My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Author: Victoria Schwab
Genre: Fantasy
Published: 2016


As soon as I finished A Darker Shade of Magic I grabbed this book and started it. I'm sorry but I think I'm just going to buy all of Victoria's books and read them and cry as I wait for book three of this series. This has go to be some of the best fantasy I have ever read.

Goodreads Review:

It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift – back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games – an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries – a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.

My Review:

In this book we get all our favorite characters back plus some. We get more of Rhy, a dashing sea captain, a charming guard, and a cat.  Give or take some other characters. Lila still remains my favorite. She only managed to get better in this book. I loved seeing her without Kell. Her development since we first met her on he streets of Grey London is one of my favorite things. I love the way she presents herself, her obsession with daggers, and her mask. I love how she tries to act nonchalant over seeing new things but it but sometimes it shows through. Lila is just one of my favorite characters ever. 

I love Lila on her own but I may love Kell and her together just as much. In A Darker Shade of Magic we get a hint of romance but we get a little more to go on here. Though Lila is my favorite Kell is a close second. He's so loyal to his brother and seeing the way the royal family treats him hurts my heart so much. I hate that Kell feels he doesn't belong. I love seeing him open up with Lila though. Like he feels a little more like he belongs with the girl from a different world. I really want a short story of them on a pirate ship fighting against, ya know pirates, with magic and daggers and a coat with multiple sides and a dark mask.Can we get a graphic novel of this please?

The story started out a little slow for me but it didn't take long for it to pick up. We get so much more magic in this book! The tournament is absolutely brilliant and it kept me on my toes the entire book!!! I loved the parts where we got to see what was going on in white London. That place gives me that creeps. But like the first book everything flows together. Holes that were left open in the first story start to fill in this one, we get to see more of the characters every day lives, and lots of sword fights. The swords and daggers have got to be my favorite part of this series. 

I loved this book. If you haven't read this series than I suggest you go pick them up. Victoria Schwab's writing is amazing and the characters in this story are so lovable. Also did I mention sword fights and magic?




1 comment:

  1. Wow 5/5! Thanks for this review. I am soooo encouraged and excited to read the book now!!

    ReplyDelete