Friday, July 8, 2016

Book Review: Dreamology by Lucy Keating

My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Author: Lucy Keating
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Published: 2016

I was hesitant to pick up this book. It seemed like it was going to be a cliche, romance book. It had mixed reviews and a synopsis that didn't really interest me. I'm so glad that against all this I picked it up. If I were to describe this book in one word it would be sweet. I loved the gentleness of this story. I'm a big lover of fantasy and a lot of times they're full of sadness and violence. This book was a breather and definitely does not disappoint.

Goodreads Synopsis:

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.

But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. It turns out, though, that Real Max is nothing like Dream Max, and getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.

When their dreams start to bleed dangerously into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?


My Review:

Alice is a girl with her head in the clouds. She prefers her dreams over reality and this is something I can SO relate to. I love my books more than I love most people (is that to harsh?). I probably loved this character because I an relate to her so much. But thats not all Alice was. She was bubbly and happy, but at the same time strong and ready to take on whatever she faced next. She loved her dreams but she was still able to surface. She loves her dog, Jerry, and her Dad. She had a big heart and a head full of dreams.  

The dreams in this book made you feel crazy colors and odd tastes. Is that weird? Does anyone else get this strange feeling when reading book? Maybe it's just me but with good books where writers describe it so well, I can see, hear, and taste some scenes. Like its all playing out in front of you on the T.V. but better. Lucy Keating did this for me. I fell in love with her writing style in every possible way. 

Side characters. One of my greatest pet peeves in books is having lame side characters. If you are going to take the readers attention away from their main characters you sure as heck better have someone good to take their place. All the extras in this book kept my attention but the four I loved most were Oliver, Sophie, Alice's Dad, and her dog, Jerry. They were all so interesting and added depth to this dreamlike book. And though Alice loves her dreams she has some very deep relationships with these characters that are just so fun to see happen throughout the book.

Now for the moment you've all been waiting on... Max.... and... Alice. The romance in this book is so light and airy. You don't have anything heavy and surprisingly this is not an insta love story. Max and Alice had a relationship long before they met. They had been together in their dreams for so long. They were a part of each others lives that they didn't wan to let go. When they finally meet in real life they're both hesitant. They have their doubts about each other and they take time to get to know one another outside of their dreams. And its something that grows throughout the book and doesn't overwhelm your senses.

I feel like this book is for all dreamers out there. That may seem cheesy but readers are dreamers. I feel like some people dislike reading (or fiction) because they don't have the imagination readers need to enjoy a book. Readers are people with strong imaginations and dreams. Most turn into writers, They just have the ability to construct whole worlds, and people in their heads. So I'm recommending this book to dreamers and readers alike.






No comments:

Post a Comment