Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Book Review: The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury

My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Author: Jessica Khoury 
Genre: Retelling, Fantasy
Published: 2016

I like to consider myself the queen of retellings. I really love them and if I see one I have to read it. It doesn't matter what story they're retelling I MUST read it. Funny enough I have never, ever, ever read a retelling (or even run into one) of Aladdin. Why? I'm not sure. Personally I love the disney version (*laughs hysterically cause disney is always so accurate*).  This book was full of romance, magic, and endless twists and turns. I loved how unexpected everything in this story was.

Goodreads Synopsis:

She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world... 

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years—a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes. 

But when the King of the Jinn offers Zahra a chance to be free of her lamp forever, she seizes the opportunity—only to discover she is falling in love with Aladdin. When saving herself means betraying him, Zahra must decide once and for all: is winning her freedom worth losing her heart?

As time unravels and her enemies close in, Zahra finds herself suspended between danger and desire in this dazzling retelling of Aladdin from acclaimed author Jessica Khoury.


My Review:

Our main character, Zahra, is one of my new favorites. Even though she has spent thousands of years being a slave of the lamp and granting the wishes of everyone who has stumbled upon her, she has a strong personality and a will of her own. She's both kind and determined, and wants nothing more than to earn her freedom. She both quirky and fierce and I loved that she could be both.

I haven't read a book with so much of a love factor in it in awhile. Everything I've read lately either hasn't had any romance or it's been on the back burner. Some YA romance leaves a bad taste in your mouth but this one was perfect. It wasn't forced or overpowering. It left you wanting more. Needless to say I SO ship Aladdin and Zahra. 

Now don't get me wrong this book is not just a romance. It's so much more. With a kick butt group of female warriors, a violent king of the Jin, and more magic and wishes than you know what to do with this book has everything a person could want in a retelling. My biggest thing with retellings is it can't follow the original story to much. That takes away all the surprise in the story. This book surprised me with how many twists it took. I kept thinking I knew what was coming when all of a sudden Jessica Khoury threw a new factor into the story. It was horrible and amazing and I loved it. 

Recommending this book to anyone who like retellings, romance, or magic. It's an amazing spin on Aladdin and it keeps you hooked till the very end. 









No comments:

Post a Comment