Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Book Review: The Killing Jar by R. S. McCoy

My Rating: 3/5 Stars
Author:R. S. McCoy
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance
Published: 2016

This was a fun, fast paced, science fiction book. With an amazing main character, fun side characters, and a beautiful setting.

Goodreads Review:

Earth is dying, circling the drain on life support. The future of the human race depends on space exploration, but they’re running out of time. Parasitic insects are systematically killing the best scientific minds but no one knows why. 

Mable Wilkinson is the last hope to figure it out, she just doesn’t know it yet. For years, her resourcefulness, intelligence, and penchant for problem-solving have put her at the top of a very short list of researchers, only she doesn’t want to be part of it. 

Cast out at sixteen, Mable wrote off the problems of the world long ago. Now, her focus is on Hadley, her adopted little sister, and teaching her to survive in the cut-throat underground. Instead, both Mable and Hadley fall into the hands of the program’s recruiter, Silas Arrenstein, and he’s determined to have one of them. Mable can join up with the man and program who killed her brother, or she can leave Hadley to the same fate.

A new sci-fi romance from RS McCoy, author of The Sparks Saga and The Luminary Chronicles. 

Book One of The Extraction Files


My favorite part of this story was our main character, Mabel. She was strong, independent, and willing to do whatever it takes to make sure her sister stays safe in a world falling apart. Mable was such a strong lead. Sometimes you get  a lead who outshines everything else in the book but she was just enough. I loved how tough she could be but knew when to let go and show herself to the people around her. Her relationship with Hadley was sweet and honestly made me so happy. Sister relationships in stories hold a special place in my heart. 

The world in this book is so well built! I loved the setting (earth dying, etc.) and I couldn't get enough of it. The domes over the cities, the underground colonies, the new species, the planet searching it was all just amazing and I loved the feel of it. The alien species especially.

So before I mention this next part I'd just like to say I have a terrible fear of bugs. Always have. It doesn't matter what kind of bug I hate them. So when these robotic bugs came into the story I was horrified and slightly disturbed. But at the same time I liked seeing how the author brought these into play,

This story had a lot of good qualities but I gave it three stars for two reasons. (1. it was a little slow. (2. At times the story was hard to follow. Maybe these play into each other and the only issue was how it was a slow at times but I put it as two issues. I felt that at times we had a little to much information and/or the author went on about something that wasn't important for that part of the story. This didn't prevent me from enjoying the story though.

I'm going to recommend this story to science fiction lovers. This book leaves an otherworldly taste in your mouth that reminds you of far away places and keeps you wanting more.




No comments:

Post a Comment