Friday, July 15, 2016

A Sort of Book Review : The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

My Rating: 3/5 Stars
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Published: 2016

Yay! Another book down on my summer TBR *insert Party noises*. Earlier this year I met Renee Ahdieh and Roshani was there. I hadn't heard of her book but apparently everyone else had. I was a little disappointed in this story. I was expecting a lot more, but it still had some redeeming qualities.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire…

But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself.


My Review:

Lets make this simple. I'll give you three reasons why I didn't enjoy the story and then I'll give you three reasons why it's worth picking up.

Three NO factors:

This book is SLOW. For me the story didn't pick up until halfway through.

The descriptions carried on forever. I'm all about being able to use my five senses for a book but at times this one took it to far. 

I didn't feel the passion between Maya and Amar until the last couple chapters. For most of the story I feel like Maya is avoiding Amar so when all of a sudden she realizes she loves him I was like "Since when?!" 

Three Okay That Works Factors:

This book is slow BUT when it picks up we get going. Everything falls into place and you have these 'Of course, duh' moments. 

The descriptions do carry on BUT Roshani gave us an amazing setting for this story. The culture in this story is awesome. The way they speak, what they wear, where they live. It all came together in this completely amazing setting. 

The passion between Maya and Amar was lacking but in those few moments before the end of the story it kind of made up for it. Amar was so sweet and when Maya did that something (trying not to spoil the story!) I could have killed her. 

I know you guys! Really odd review but this story had me back and forth. Maya was an amazing female lead. Amar was sweet and caring. The setting and the mythology were on point.

If you like mythology, or fantasy I think you should give this story a shot. I think it really depends on the reader. I'll probably reread it at some point and like it better. It's one of those stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment