Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Review: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

“Miss Howard: I like a good detective story myself. Lots of nonsense written, though. Criminal discovered in last Chapter. Everyone dumbfounded. Real crime - you'd know at once.” 
The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Agatha Christie 

I didn't enjoy this Agatha Christie mystery as much as And Then There Were None and The Murder on the Orient Express, but it was still an incredibly well written and witty book. 


Goodreads Synopsis: 

Poirot, a Belgian refugee of the Great War, is settling in England near the home of Emily Inglethorp, who helped him to his new life. His friend Hastings arrives as a guest at her home. When the woman is killed, Poirot uses his detective skills to solve the mystery.

Agatha Christie mysteries always give me an unsettled feeling. They're amazing but some of them are so dark and witty they give me chills. I would make a terrible murderer. I wouldn't think of half the things the bad guys in her books do. I also wouldn't make a good detective. I'm rather day dreamy and never think quite clearly. 

We get to see a little bit of Ms. Inglethorp before her fit and I thought she was a bit of an annoying character. Honestly I wouldn't have blamed a couple of people in the house for trying to murder her. But of course the real reason she was so quickly gotten rid of was her fortune. No one can resist a large sum of money.

Like in most of her books, Agatha Christie keeps us guessing until the last page. There were a few times I thought I had it but then another clue would come up or that particular character would go and do something the exact opposite of what a murderer would do. 

I wasn't too surprised at the ending and that's why I think I didn't enjoy it a much as her other books that I've read. I think the whole thing where Hastings got aggravated at Poirot got to me to. I mean honestly Hastings if you don't get it shut up and listen like the rest of us.

All in all I really enjoyed the book. It's hard not to. If you like Agatha Christie then you'll enjoy it, but if you're new to her I suggest starting with And Then There Were None.


My Rating: 3/5 Stars
Author: Agatha Christie 
Genre: Mystery
Published: 1920

No comments:

Post a Comment