Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2016: The Good, The Bad, and The Not So Ugly

2016 is generally accepted as the worst year ever. I agree. It's been a rough year for everyone. But I'm writing this post because I don't want to look back in my life and draw a blank for this past year. Here are some of the biggest things to happen to me in 2016. The good, the bad, and the not so ugly. Because my year has been full of ups and downs and I've learned so much.

My grandfather passing. 

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the beginning of last year is my grandpa. In March my parents woke me up early in the morning and told me my grandpa was gone. I spent the next two hours packing and then the next seven in the car on my way to Ohio.  My sister drove and I sat in the passenger seat listening to Gregory Alan Isakov, watching the sun rise as we drove through the mountains. I learned to grieve this past year. 

I Quit Dance.

After eight years of dancing off and on I quit ballet. There was something special about dancing for me. I'm quiet and shy and expressing myself through dance was an amazing experience. But as you get older dance becomes something else. It's competition. In class, in shows, against every girl at your school. The dressing rooms were full of who did this or that talk, and backstabbing friends. It became a really negative experience and I found myself hating to go to class every day. So I quit. It was a satisfying experience.

I Got An Internship.

This was one of the greatest things to happen to me. As most of you know finding a job without experience is HARD. The internship was a great way to gain experience and make some money at the same time. I grew a lot during those months and though it was bittersweet when it ended I'm excited to see what's next.

I Discovered A Love For Photography.

I don't consider myself good by any means but this year I picked up a camera and found out how amazing it felt to take fifty photos and have five turn out. I plan on working on this interest and exploring new angles, and ways of shooting. It's one of the things I look forward to the most in 2017.

The Rest of it. 

I met some beautiful friends through my instagram, I got an A in my biology lab, I finished my Goodreads challenge, I discovered the show F.R.I.E.N.D.S, I started to control my vasovagal syncope after struggling with my triggers since I was twelve, I picked out a selection of colleges and majors, I discovered publicity in publishing and have started working towards that dream, I got crushed by two girls but came back from it, Stranger Things came out and it was amazing,I took the ACT and scored higher than the average student.

Things I Need To Remember In 2017:

I don't need to change. I read too many books, I spend a lot of time on netflix, I love my cat, chocolate, and my large family. And that's okay. I don't have to change. Not for anyone no matter how lame they may think I am.

Don't stress. I stress over everything. Especially college. One of my goals for 2017 is to take it one step at a time and not worry about something that's a year down the road.

It's okay to say no. It's so hard for me to tell people no. But this year I'm determined to start saying it. 

Kindness, Love, and Generosity are three things the world needs more of. This year I want to spread more love, treat everyone (even the meanest person) with kindness, and give more.

So here's to 2017. May it treat you far better than 2016 ever did.


                Image result for gatsby champagne gif

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with us. You are right. 2016 was mostly bad but it also contained good things, new things. I can rly relate to you. Greetings from Germany X

    ReplyDelete