Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Book Review: Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Author: Alwyn Hamilton
Genre: Fantasy
Published: 2016

I met Alwyn Hamilton at a book event in Cincinnati, Ohio. She was such an awesome person to talk to and I started the book as soon as I got my hands on a copy. I was on my toes, jumping up and down in anticipation by the end of the first chapter.

Goodreads Synopsis

She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from. 

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.

The setting for this story has to be what made me love it so much. It was so unique and unlike anything I've ever read before. A mix of middle eastern and the old west? Um yes please. The desert, which fits into both of those settings, was a force of its own. It felt like it was a character itself. The way it was always there and how they were either fighting against it or with it all throughout the story. Only the strong survive and Amani is a girl destined for the desert. 

This story had everything and then some. We had gun slingers and sword fighters, magical stories with djinni and mythical horses, rebel princes and orphan girls. I love a good magical setting (hi fantasy addict here) and Alwyn Hamilton put just enough of the magical, mysterious middle east into her western story. 

Amani is now one of my new favorite female leads. Even though she has lead a difficult life she's determined to escape her overbearing Uncle and lead the life she wants to lead. . Her development throughout the story was so much fun to see. Her transformation from a girl looking out for herself to someone willing to put her life on the line for people she doesn't know was perfect. Hers skills with a gun and the way she didn't need anyone to save her. Don't even get me started on her relationship with Jin!!

This is a short review but honestly there isn't much wrong with this book. I could right paragraph after paragraph about the things I loved in this story. As awesome as this one was I'm a little anxious to see what happens in the sequel. We had so much build up and by the end of the book all our clues were figured out and our bad guys put in their place. I really don't want to be disappointed in the next book so I'm crossing my fingers it will be just as good as the first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment